Formerly Bishopwearmouth Parish Church was created a Minster in 1998 with a Canon Provost. The first church was built around 900AD and served an area south of the River Wear. Unusually there are three fonts in the ‘narthex’ or main porch the oldest of which was dug up in the churchyard during alteration works in 1935. Records and drawings for the works by the architect Caroe are contained in the Choir Vestry The Vestry also contains two portraits of Henry Egerton and John Wesley.
Visit the church http://www.sunderlandminster.org