Sitting in the Trent Valley the church dates from 1230 although the crypt now the Treasury is thought to date from the previous century. The focal point seen through the 16th century rood screen is the golden altar reredos which in 1937 replaced a stone one depicting scenes from the life of St Mary Magdalene. Outside the Markham Chantry Chapel there is a Dance of Death painted panel depicting a dancing skeleton flourishing a carnation and pointing to the grave. The church also possesses a library with books bequeathed by Thomas White with the main topicTheology.
Visit the church http://www.stmarysnewark.org/