The cupola of St Chad’s defines part of the skyline of Shrewsbury. The church was rebuilt during the reign of Henry III having been founded in the 8th Century. In 1788 however following an alarming report by the famous engineer Thomas Telford it collapsed despite an attempt at remedial work. After much debate a new church was built in a more classical style on the site of a quarry. A three level central pulpit was a distinctive feature since replaced by one placed to the side. Shrewsbury’s most famous son Charles Darwin was baptized here in 1809.
Visit the church http://www.stchadschurchshrewsbury.com/